WHO SHOULD NOT GET THE PNEUMOCOCCAL VACCINE?
You shouldn’t have the vaccine if you have had an allergic reaction to a previous dose or to any part of the vaccine.
I THINK I’VE HAD THE VACCINE BEFORE, DO I NEED ANOTHER ONE?
Most people will only need this vaccine once. However, re-vaccination is recommended for some people and this will depend on your age and if you have any risk factors.
Ask your pharmacist to check if you are recommended to get the pneumococcal vaccine. To ensure the vaccine is suitable for you at this time we will need to confirm your pneumococcal vaccine history with your doctor.
HOW DO I AVAIL OF THE VACCINATION SERVICE?
- Pop into Dunville Pharmacy and ask a member of your team or call 014971289
- Book your appointment at the pharmacy counter or download our pharmacy APP on the App Store.
The cost of this service is €45.00
*this vaccine is currently unavailable
- This vaccine protects against 23 types of pneumococcal disease including those most likely to cause severe disease and most people only need to receive the vaccine once
- Most adults will be protected by the vaccine after 3 weeks
- If you are aged under 65 years a booster vaccination (usually given 5 years after the first) may be recommended if you have a condition where your antibody levels are likely to decline rapidly e.g. no spleen, or a condition that weakens your immune system
- You cannot get pneumococcal disease from the vaccine, as it does not contain live bacteria
- The pneumococcal vaccine reduces the risk of getting severe forms of pneumococcal disease such as pneumonia, meningitis and septicaemia
- People can develop side-effects after a pneumococcal vaccination, although not everybody gets them
- Very common side-effects include: soreness, pain, redness, warmth, swelling and hardening where the injection is given
- Other side effects include: swelling, decreased mobility of the injected arm, feeling tired, generally unwell, uncontrollable shivering, feeling sick or being sick, enlarged and/or inflamed glands, pain, inflammation and swelling of the joints and muscle pains, headache and severe allergic reactions
- Signs of a severe allergic reaction can include hives, swelling of the face and throat, difficulty breathing, a fast heartbeat, dizziness, and weakness. If this happens, we have procedures in place to deal with this condition
- It’s important that you stay in store for 15 minutes after your vaccination, just in case you have any immediate side-effects
If you’re concerned about any aspects of your vaccination or about any side-effects, you should talk to one of our pharmacists.
Additional information see here